Monday, July 4, 2011

Bigger and all month long?

In Utah our law makers have decided to change the firework laws. In previous years the state has only been able to use fireworks three days before and three days after the holidays, well starting this year we can use them the ENTIRE month of July. Also, now we can use bigger fireworks meaning that they can now go higher into the air. I'm not sure who's brilliant idea this was, but they obviously didn't think things through. Now, I'm not trying to be a party pooper, I am just very concerned. Obviously if people use them safely then the new laws will be fine, but we all know that won't happen.

Here's an example: last night when I was doing fireworks with my family there was another family doing fireworks three house down. Well, they had the bigger ones that go high in the air. Well, as the exploded in the air making the fantastic colors that we all love the pieces of the firework came showering down on us. Keep in mind we were three houses away. Luckily for us none of the pieces were on fire, but it still wasn't the best sensation. Obviously there was no common courtesy from the family down the street. If I owned a house I would be even more concerned with those big fireworks flying above my roof with the possibility of flying fiery pieces of fireworks landing on it.

So, here are my thoughts, why not make a designated area where families can go to set off the bigger fireworks, OR make it a rule that they should use common courtesy and let those around them know what is going on and how long they will be lighting those types of fireworks. This big fireworks are definitely not safe in neighborhoods with houses so close together.

With that being said, I'll get off my soap box. I hope everyone enjoys this beautiful day and realizes the sacrifices that our families, friends, and neighbors have made to keep our country safe. God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment